I was commissioned to build a wearable mask of the Juggernaut from DotA 2!
I figured that the game art was a pretty good place to start for references, so I did most of my work from this image here.
I decided that this would be an excellent chance for me to try out Pepakura for the first time. I dusted off my 3D modeling skills and made a rough likeness of the mask in Maya. I used my own head for scale, because I figured that if it could fit on my giant melon head, it would fit on nearly anyone else’s head.
The .obj of the model was plugged into Pepakura Designer and I unfolded the thing. If you’d like to see a brief explanation of the process, check out my Pepakura Tips and Tricks video!
Once I had the Pepakura files all laid out, I printed them on heavy card stock, cut them out, and glued all of them together. Then the back side of the mask got some MDF and styrene supports.
To start giving the mask a bit of rigidity, I slathered the outside surface in fiberglass resin. Once that hardened, the back side got the full fiberglass treatment!
Now that the mask was all kinds of stiff, I faired out the faceted faces with a whole lot of Bondo.
Up until now our Juggernaut was blind! I went ahead and gave him some eye holes. You’ll also notice that the mask has been sanded a whole lot and is nice and smooth compared to the faceted look it had from the Pepakura process.
Finally this bad boy got some paint! It was sprayed with an off-white enamel and clear coated. Then the red lines were hand painted on with some more enamels. Tah-dah! I also added some foam and elastic to the back side of the mask so that it could be worn.
That’s it, all done!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.