How do I turn my hobby into a business? What should I charge for commissions? Should I start a Patreon? What does pie have to do with business? These questions and more are answered in this collection.
For starters, check out my post on How to Become a Professional Prop & Costume Maker. I also go into the journey I personally took to create Punished Props in the video Turning Creative Passion into a Successful Business.
Wondering about getting paid for work vs. getting work for your portfolio? Chase Jarvis came out with an awesome, and totally accurate, article called Say No Unless a Project Has At Least 2 of These 3 Things.
Every business is different, but there are some great resources to get started. If you have, or are starting, your own business, I highly recommend reading the books below. Especially, The E-Myth Revisited.
Business Books to Read
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
- Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
- The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results – Gary Keller & Jay Papasan
- The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle – Steven Pressfield
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Lean…And Others Don’t – Jim Collins